Before Applying for Financial Aid
Applying for Financial Aid
- File the FAFSA online.
- Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) for errors to be corrected or updated on your FAFSA.
- Apply for General Scholarships through the Scholarship Gateway. The deadline to apply is February 15th.
- Academic scholarships are awarded by the Virginia Tech colleges and departments. Therefore the application process and deadlines may vary. Please check with your academic department for such scholarship opportunities and deadlines.
- Visit the Transfer Guide to see how your courses will transfer
- If transferring during the academic year, add Virginia Tech school code to your FAFSA
- Make sure to check out any scholarship opportunities that may apply to you. Visit Academic Scholarships, for college specific scholarships and the Scholarships Gateway for general scholarships
After Applying for Financial Aid
- Respond promptly to all requests for information or documents from departments, scholarship committees, and the Office of University Scholarships and Financial Aid. Failure to do so could result in delays, reductions, and/or cancellations of financial aid.
- If additional information is needed, you will be notified by e-mail and will be given 14 days to respond to this request. A list of outstanding documents can be viewed on Hokie SPA or My VT.
About 30% of all FAFSAs are selected for verification.Verification is a process by which certain data and information on the FAFSA needs to be confirmed and verified. If selected for verification Virginia Tech is required to collect documentation to check the accuracy of the information provided on the FAFSA. The verification process must be completed before any financial aid can be awarded and disbursed.
The Department of Education matches the information provided on the FAFSA against several federal registers. Typical reasons for verification includes mismatching social security number, date of birth or other misspelling. Please make sure to double check the accuracy before submitting you FAFSA, as this may prevent verification. By using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT), you avoid incorrect income and tax information, which are also typical issues for verification.
If you are selected for verification you will be contacted via you Virginia Tech email. You will also be notified which Verification Group you are selected for and which documents are required. You can also find the verification forms under Forms