Federal Work Study (FWS) is a program that provides part-time employment opportunities to eligible students to help meet expenses related to education.
Based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), eligible students are offered an allotment which may be earned through part-time employment in Federal Work Study (FWS) approved positions. More information can be found by accessing the FWS Student Guide.
To be eligible for the Federal Work Study program students must:
- Submit a completed FAFSA by the priority deadline of March 1st
- Express interest in FWS by answering the pertinent question on the FAFSA
- Demonstrate financial need (determined by the evaluation of FAFSA data)
- Meet satisfactory academic progress standards
- Be enrolled full-time in a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate program
- Obtain a FWS job by the deadline given in early fall
- Accept awarded FWS on the Hokie SPA by the deadline
Accepting or Declining FWS
- Students view their award package through the Hokie SPA hokiespa.vt.edu in early spring of each year
- New students can accept/decline FWS after they accept admission and have access to the Hokie SPA
- If awarded, FWS will be listed with an amount the student may earn for that academic year
- The student MUST actively accept the FWS award at the HokieSPA (see instructions below) by June 14, 2013 or the award will be canceled. The student can also decline FWS at the Hokie SPA if they choose not to work. READ MORE.
Find a Federal Work Study Job
- To search for a FWS job, students will need to log on to Hokies4Hire system linked below or from the Career Services website
- Students will need to create a profile as well as upload a resume
- Students will follow the instructions to search for FWS designated jobs (select work study as applicant type)
- Virginia Tech Career Services is available to assist students with resume reviews, cover letters, interviewing skills etc.
Click on the link below to search for a FWS job if you have been awarded and have accepted FWS on your award notification at Hokie SPA. Students must obtain a FWS job and complete the required documentation with the employer (Form I-9, Form W-4, entry into Banner system) by September 13, 2013 or the federal work study funds will be canceled.
If you have questions regarding FWS, please email email@example.com.
CLICK HERE TO LAUNCH HOKIES4HIRE
Employers-How to Post a Federal Work Study (FWS) Job
- The Federal Work Study Program at Virginia Tech uses the Hokies4Hire system for posting open FWS jobs. The steps to post a FWS job are listed below.
- If you have questions regarding FWS, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have technical questions regarding the Hokies4Hire system, please send an email to email@example.com or call 540-231-6776
- After you have hired your FWS student, please remove the job posting immediately
- Hired FWS students must be entered into Banner as an employee by September 13, 2013 to avoid cancelation of the student’s FWS award
Click here to post a FWS job on Hokies4Hire
- Create or log-in to your Hokies4Hire account
- Select New Job under the Jobs menu tab
- Enter all required information; Employers must indicate Federal Work Study as the Applicant Type
- Please place the words "Federal Work Study" somewhere in your job title
- Save the job. The job will then be approved by the staff and active to students within 24 hours