The Commonwealth Grant is a state-funded program based on financial need for entering or returning freshmen or transfer students. Only In-State students are eligible for this grant.
- Must file the FAFSA by our Priority Filing Deadline
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must be a resident of Virginia
- Must have a Cumulative high school GPA (for entering freshman) of 2.0
- Must have a Minimum GPA for renewal of 2.0
- Demonstrate “Need-Based” financial need (VT Cost of Attendance minus Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated from the FAFSA)
- Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours)
- Must be seeking 1st Bachelor’s Degree
- Receipt of Veteran’s Benefits, such as Chapter 33, may reduce or eliminate eligibility for this program. Please contact the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV), for more information.
Systematically awarded when student is packaged